Historical places

Charles Bridge 

Built in the place of the Judita´s Bridge that had been destroyed by a flood in 1342. It is also called „The Stone Bridge“ or „The Prague Bridge“. The foundation stone had been laid in 1357 during the Reign of Emperor Charles IV. The bridge is 515 meters long and 10 meters wide. From 17th century thirty sculptures and sculptural groups of the saints were gradually set on the bridge piers (M. Braun, F. M. Brokoff, etc.)Nowadays they are substituted by copies stroll over the Bridge is seasoned by performances of musicians and other artists selling small artistic objects in their stalls magical atmosphere of the Charles Bridge is an unforgettable experience day or night.                          


Prague Castle 

Founded after 870 at a strategic location by a prince from the Przemyslides royal family. During following eleven centuries underwent numerous reconstructions. In 1918 became official seat of Czechoslovak president. Under auspices of president T G. Masaryk several architectonical adaptations took place in the Prague Castle area, supervised by Josip Plecnik. Numerous cultural events and exhibitions take place in the area of the Prague Castle (Cisarska konirna-Imperial Stables, Jizdarna Prazskeho hradu, Purkrabstvi), Prague Castle Gallery contains vast collection of precious works of art. Changing of the Guards at the Castle Gates takes place every hour, starting at 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. Ceremonial fanfare and banner exchange takes place every day at noon.                


Old Town Hall with Astronomical Clock 

Mystic, traditions and the history of the Czech nation unfold their beauty in the centre of old Prague, every time the Astronomical Clock strikes the exact hour. The history of the square goes back to the 10th century, when the place was one of the favourite market places in the developing town of Prague. Square is dominated by the monument of Jan Hus, one of the most important Czech reformers and nationalists.  It is the work of Ladislav Saloud, inspired by the famous sculptures of the French artist Auguste Rodin. Horse-drown carriages The buildings from the Old Town Square are a fortunate collage if architectural styles. Gothic comes immediately after Cubist houses and don’t be surprised if next to them you will see a most beautiful Baroque construction. The most famous of them all is without doubt the fabulous Astronomical Clock Orloj in the Old Town City Hall. The bottom part was supplemented with a round calendarium including the signs of the zodiac painted by Josef Manes (1865). Nowadays they are substituted by copies.                    


Jewish Town 

Jews lived in Prague territory from the 10th century. During the 12th century, they started to settle on the right bank of the Vltava River, near Charles Bridge , where the future Jewish Town was to emerge. In 1850, the Jewish Town was joined to Prague as its fifth quarter, called Josefov. Its present condition was essentially influenced by the extensive renovation resulting in the demolition of whole blocks of houses, and the subsequent development. Only the Jewish town hall, six synagogues and a cemetery have been preserved from the original town quarter. Synagogues: Klausova, Pinkasova, Maiselova, Old-New Synagogue (Staronova), High Synagogue (Vysoka synagoga), Spanish Synagogue (Spanelska synagoga).                


Powder Tower 

The construction of the 65m-tall Powder Tower begun in 1475 under the reign of King Vladislav II Jagiello and for a few centuries has been known as the New Tower. It used to form one of the 13 entrances to the Old Town and contribute to the beauty of the Royal Court, the king’s residence. The New Tower was built in concordance with the Old Town Bridge Tower designed by Peter Parler a century before.In 1483 the king moved to Prague Castle and the bridge was left unfinished. Between 1875 and 1886 the tower was rebuilt, decorated and redesigned by Josef Mocker. The gate acquired its present name in the 17th century when it was used to store gunpowder. Today, there is a small exhibition about the tower and it is open for visiting.     



Vysehrad or the “Castle on the heights” is a beautiful place to visit any time of day or season. To get into the essence of the place you need to take a walk through the huge, beautiful park that covers the area. From the underground station “Vysehrad” follow the signs saying “K Rotunde” and the Church of ST. Peter and St Paul. As you pass the Tabor Gate you will see the ruins of a former fortification of the place built by Charles IV. Maybe more impressing than the beautiful park and historic buildings will be astonishing views over Prague, the bridges over Vltava and the Prague Castle.The best viewing points are from Gothic ruins of Libuses’s Baths. Walks at sunset and by night will have a guaranteed effect, so be sure not to miss out on them!!!